- Yesterday, in case you missed it., yesterday was the last day of the reign of Pope Benedict XVI. I don’t think anyone could have missed it, but in the event that you did, here is a nice link with images of the last moments.
- I’ve been trying to come up with ideas for quick, yet healthy snacks for the kids (and for me). I made theseÂ for the Scout pack meeting on Tuesday, and found them to be pretty darn good, so they will be added to the mix of snacks for us. I doubled the recipe, the used store bought whole wheat flour, because I have some that needs to be used up and only used a cup of oats, becauseÂ Â I used whole oats. They turned out very well and received rave reviews from everyone who ate them. I came across this recipe this morning and hope to make them soon!
- Have you ever had a week of non-success in the kitchen? I did last week, so this week, when my rye bread, cookies, pretzels, and on the fly spaghetti sauce turned out well this week, I was thrilled. My spaghetti sauce was made yesterday, with meat, something I seldom do. I forgot to thaw out hamburger and kept putting it off. Then it was 430 and I didn’t have anything started yet. Crud. I ended up taking a packet of ground beef, putting it in a saucepan, pouring a can of pureed tomatoes on top, adding chopped onions and peppers, and some seasonings. I put the lid on the pan, then came back every 10 minutes or so to stir and to chop up the meat. In the end, it turned out wonderfully! I used elbow noodles in place of regular spaghetti noodles and it for some reason, it was just a joy to eat dinner last night.
- Margaret knows how to read, now. Last night, during Compline, she read the reading all on her own (well with a little help from me with a word or two.)
- Karol lost his first tooth yesterday! He is seven and I thought he’d never lose a tooth, now he has and he looks quite different already! (Well when he smiles anyway.) He was very confused this morning as to why he had two quarters under his pillow this morning.
- The pinewood derby is this weekend. There was supposed to be a camp out, but because of all the rain (nearly 9 inches here!) Â the camp out was cancelled, but the derby will still happen on Saturday. Karol and Joshua have been working hard on the car and making it look nice. The car is awesome and I can’t wait to see it race!
- The Wings are on television this weekend! With the nifty antenna Joshua made for me, I’ll be able to watch it again. Then we are having dinner with friends after. I am looking forward to a nice Sunday.
For more 7 Quick Takes, check outÂ Jenniferâ€™sÂ blog.
Ooohh…Pinewood Derby! Justin and Zeke have been hard at work, too. They are nearly done, and the derby is at the end of the month. Too much fun.
If you’re looking for healthy-ish cookie recipes, here’s a good one:
I did 1/4 c maple syrup and 1/4 c honey. They were super yummy. I couldn’t stop eating them!